Monday, April 4, 2011

Blog 11- 4/4/11


            The trip to downtown Ft. Myers was pretty relaxing. And I got a really tasty smoothie, so that made my day. I had never been in that area before so it was interesting to see everything for the first time. To me, when I hear ‘downtown’ I think of downtown St. Petersburg, FL where my mom works and where I used to intern over the summers. It’s just skyscraper after skyscraper with tiny little shops or businesses in between. See downtown Ft. Myers was a little bit different from what I was expecting because there weren’t as many skyscrapers or rather tall buildings. It was very cute and quaint the way the streets were lined with trees and adorable little shops. I think more and more we are going to see downtown areas take back that cute little community feel instead of the tall skyscrapers on every corner, at least I hope.
            Downtown Ft. Myers has more of the community look to it, and that is creating more of a ‘pedestrian’ spirit everywhere. People are encouraged to walk the streets and enjoy the atmosphere and culture instead of just driving from place to place. The buildings promote that, I think, based on how they look from the outside: still keeping that historic look (which for the most part is adorable). They also allow for housing on top of the businesses which adds to the pedestrian lifestyle there. Some of the streets are paved with brick which slows down the traffic and encourages walking more. I think Ft. Myers will benefit from this look and feel in the long run.
            Along our walk today we saw several statues and historical monuments dedicated to different people and events. One was the three statues of Edison, Ford, and Firestone. Another was a tribute to the African American soldiers of the Civil War. Even the Florida panther was recognized in bronze (or whatever they make them out of). I think the way downtown Ft. Myers is presenting itself is keeping sustainability in mind. They are encouraging walking, which will help the environment.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment