Monday, March 28, 2011

Blog 10- 3/28/11

                So my ecological footprint did not turn out so well. If everyone lived like me we would need four planets to sustain us. This is not good news. I didn’t think that I was so wasteful or eco unconscious. There has to be a change here, not only in my own habits but in others’ as well because I’m sure they ended up with discouraging results as well.
                After I explored different scenarios, I ended up with an eco foot print of 3.5. Not bad for just a few changes I guess, but I want it to be lower. The things I could do to reduce my foot print are eating less animal products, buying products that use less packaging or are 100% recycled, making sure all my appliances are energy star rated, and pledging to take a local vacation instead of flying somewhere this year. I believe all of these things are pretty doable in my life so I think I may actually try to take these steps. I mean…it can’t possibly hurt anything to try!
                I’m not sure how many people the Earth could sustain if everyone lived like me (assuming they need 4 planets too) because I could not find it anywhere on the calculator website. I’m sure it would be a relatively low number because four planets is outrageous for everyone to “use” in their lives. I hope that through this activity our class decides to make a change in the way they live. If we all do some things to better the Earth it will add up!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment