Monday, April 25, 2011

Blog 14- 4/25/11


                The Estero Island Cottage was adorable! I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was so tiny inside. And Jo was the cutest little old lady I have ever seen, and she was so knowledgeable about Estero Island and Matanzas Pass. It was so calming and relaxing out there, and the breeze was refreshing. It was pretty neat to see a woodpecker that close, too. I felt a little rushed through it all though, maybe because we were stuck in traffic getting there or the information session was a little longer than normal. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t matter; it was still a nice ending to the Colloquium semester.
                A couple of things stood out to me while we were out and about. The woodpecker was one, but the fungus on the trees was another. It was weird to see plant life with a fungus. I guess I’ve never seen anything like it or even known that plants could get a fungus! I also saw this cool looking spider web with a baby spider in it which was pretty interesting, even though I hate spiders. It was nice to be somewhere with no noise of construction or congestions of cars. All I heard was the wind and of course our class. It was also strange to me how Jo said they don’t spray for mosquitoes…I thought there were safe methods of doing this now?
                I guess you could say more jobs are created because of the tourism and that is one way the quality of life is being enhances on Estero Island. But as the island is taken over by buildings, all of the natural beauty is taken away. As for my hometown, it hasn’t changed much since I was a child. There are a few more parks and strip malls, but nothing drastic or overwhelming. I never really felt a sense of community at home to begin with because everyone in my neighborhood pretty much kept to themselves. I found my community when I was out volunteering at various places, so I still feel a sense of community when it comes to that. If a developer offered me a large amount of money for my childhood home, I honestly would take it. We have since moved and I have found that it is not the home that makes your family a family, but the people itself. I could use the money they gave me to do so much for the places I volunteer for, so I think it would be okay to let the home get turned into condos. If Lee County offered me 80% of the market value under the 20/20 program, I think I would still take it for the same reason. 


No comments:

Post a Comment