Monday, March 14, 2011

Blog 8- 3/14/11


I think that climate change is party anthropogenic and partly natural. Of course humans are producing carbon and other pollutants into the environment, but so is nature. Plants and animals alike produce carbon and have been for billions of years. I believe there is a self correcting nature to the Earth and how ecosystems interact with each other that will eventually kick in to right the wrongs of everybody. This by no means is me saying ‘I love polluting the Earth and it doesn’t matter what we do’ but rather I believe if we make an effort to change, so will the Earth.
It is extremely hard to find a source that is credible, in my opinion. For every study that finds one outcome, there is another that finds the opposite! So how are we supposed to know which studies are the most correct and credible? Also, people are very biased when it comes to big issues like climate change. It is hard to find information that is neutral on the subject; it’s either one way or the other. So as of right now I do not know of any credible sources for information on climate change.
                In the media, I find a lot of people and organizations saying that climate change is going to be the death to us all, including the animals. They are filled with sad pictures of polar bears struggling to hang on to ice or of the natural environment losing its beauty. The media is very biased in this sense. I feel like they are making a mountain out of a mole hill though; playing on everyone’s emotions, including mine! This portrayal has not really altered my way of life. What has really changed how I use energy and spend money are the classes I have had at school. I have learned a lot from this Colloquium class, as well as the Earth and Spirit class I am taking. They have taught me alternative measures of energy use, better eating habits that support the local economy, and resources to learn more.
                As for the future, my kids and their kids will probably see some effects of climate change, whether it be manmade or natural. However, I don’t think they will be struggling for survival. With the new green movements that are taking hold and the stronger focus in education on sustainability, I think it will become easier and easier for people to slowly reduce their carbon footprint which will lead to a better and more beautiful world. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment