Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blog 2- 1/24/11


The FGCU campus definitely has a lot to offer. The land is beautiful if you know where to find it. I did not know that the campus was designed and built (at first) to make it so you could see from one end to the other; that is kind of cool. I think subconsciously this is part of the reason I chose to go to FGCU. I don’t like the ‘city’ feel of gigantic universities and FGCU seemed to have a lot more openness to offer me. The nature trail walk was very relaxing. I learned a lot about the native landscape we have on campus and in Florida in general. I personally liked hearing how when birds eat certain berries and store them they can end up being “drunk” and flying into windows and doors. It made me laugh because there is a bird that does that at my boyfriend’s mother’s house every morning.
As for the campus selection site, I’m not sure that I see anything wrong with it. I know that people who live around there might not have wanted to see a university so close to their backyards, but it would have just been in someone else’s backyard if they had moved it somewhere else. The school has the agreement to keep a certain portion of the land in its natural untouched state and they are keeping that agreement. I think the site was actually a pretty good one because of this agreement. The students will always have a certain amount of land that will remain natural, so they will always have the nature experience and the opportunities to learn about the plants and wildlife native to Florida. I think the site is consistent with the eco-empowerment mission that FGCU has because of this reason. School is for learning and growing as individuals; we have the means and the land to teach students and show them how important it is to be eco-conscious and to preserve what we have left. Any other site might not have had this land agreement so we might not have always had the natural land for teaching and preserving. I don’t really think that I have any background that would push me towards believing that the site was the right one to choose or not. I just feel like the site has a lot to offer and can provide so many opportunities for students to learn a lot about what it means to preserve the land.
I think that the school is working towards being more eco-friendly and eco-conscious and it’s evident in all of the efforts they are putting out there: the solar field, the recycling, the trash compactors, etc. I think that the school and the students will continue to grow and become better Earth stewards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment