Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog 1- 1/10/11


            Honestly, probably like the majority of the class, I did not want to take Colloquium. My friends had been in the class last semester and said it was a complete waste of time. They said the teacher was so boring and monotone and did just the minimum for the class. They also said that it was pointless and shouldn’t be a required class at the school. So naturally, my expectations were very low to say the least; I thought that I would just get it over with and move on. However, after the first day of class I must say I am a little intrigued. I’m looking forward to learning about my ecological footprint because it is something I stress in my house. I am always turning off lights, hand washing dishes, and recycling and trying to get my roommates to do the same. I want to learn more ways to reduce my input on the Earth because it really is the only one we have. I know now that this class is going to help me understand new ways to be sustainable so I can share with others.
            I try to be sustainable in my everyday life, but sometimes little things slip through the cracks; I don’t always recycle everything that I can and I drive alone when I know I can carpool. It’s the little things that add up to the major problems we have today, so I know I need to change these.
            My area of focus is psychology. An upcoming part of psychology is eco-psychology. This focuses on the connection between a person’s psychological connection with nature and nature and the environment itself. Sustainability is a big part of eco-psychology because there is a goal to retain and protect what we have on Earth today for future generations. Teaching sustainability in this area of psychology is obviously a big component.




No comments:

Post a Comment