Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blog 4- 2/7/11

I think we have so many important environmental issues that need to be addressed in the world, and it is hard to pick just one to focus on as the most pressing. If I absolutely had to choose, I think I would say population growth/industrialization. We are an ever expanding society, which means we are using more and wasting more than ever.  If we keep up at this rate, there will be absolutely no resources left for future generations, we will lose the majority of our biodiversity in the environment, and we will render the Earth basically a useless planet to humans and organisms for a while. So if I could change one thing about this issue, it would be to educate people on birth control options as well as on being a more sustainable steward to the Earth. If we are going to live here we need to take care of what is given to us before it is taken all away.
                If the Rockefeller Foundation gave me a hundred billion dollars I would be an extremely happy person. Haha, just kidding. I would use the money to help combat the environmental issues we face at the present moment in hopes to curb them in the future. First, I would put a lot more education programs in place to teach people how to be responsible and use resources wisely. I would also try to make these programs somewhat of a mandatory thing to do because we all know people are not likely to attend something like this. I would then use some money to clean up the big ocean waste zone in the Pacific that is twice the size of Texas. It is gross and killing the organisms, affecting the ecosystem as well. Next, I would tackle the air pollution problem; trying to find a way to clear up the air and stop harmful pollutants from being deposited in the first place. This would hopefully help stop the ozone depletion. It is hard to pick just one issue because they all are interwoven together. If we work to solve one problem, it will help solve another…then another…and then another!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment